Monday, June 1, 2009

Here it is . . . The first meeting . . .

It is 10:10 and we just got in from dinner. Didn't get back from the orphanage until probably 8:30--it was an unbelievable day. First we went to the minister of education. It was very emotional b/c she ask if you have seen pictures of the child and if you can see him as part of your family. Then she asks you to tell about yourself and your family. She also tells me that in Russia today is the day of the child, and that is a very good omen that I will be meeting him on this day. Then she tells me that he is very lucky to have me as a mother and that I am giving him something he doesn't have which is a mother and that she is very grateful. She also says that she can see my father is a very kind man and he is luck to have a grandfather. She also tells us that my father looks very American but I could pass as Ukranian and my look is considered very beautiful here. I then asked her if I might then be able to also find a husband here--she laughed and said that she couldn't promise that,but in Russia anything is possible! I was pleased that the meeting went well and everyone is so nice!

After a three hour car ride,we finally arrived at the orphanage. We went into a room to wait for the director to come in. They were cleaning up from the celebration they had for the children's defense day and the interpreter was going to take me to the bathroom when I turn around and Vladimir was there. It is hard to describe what it is like to see him, but all I can remember was that the room was silent. He looked shell shocked and they said that he had never been in that room before and he was definitely aware of all the strangers around him. You could see he was tense b/c he kept his hands clenched in a fist. It is a little stressful b/c you don't want to scare him, but they are encouraging you to take him. They also told me that he loves music and different sounds. It took him a little bit of time, but he finally warmed up and really was interested in all the toys. When he was concentrating on something, he would suck in his cheeks. I finally got him to smile when I kissed him, which was so cute. Then my father was making these noises and he was laughing a little. When I sat down to speak to the doctor, he was grabbing my hair and putting his fingers in my mouth. He loved the frog blanket I brought him and would put it in his mouth whenever I gave it to him. He knows his name and definitely responds to Russian.

We put him on the floor with several toys in front of him and he pulled himself to the stuffed bear singing Russian songs. He is very healthy and alert and very cute--I am also so happy b/c he still looks very much like a baby. He really enjoyed all the toys and would concentrate on something and then look up at me and then all around at everyone talking.

Then all of a sudden someone shows up and takes him away. It is all a bit surreal and then you realize that you have a three hour car ride home. It was a great day and I am so happy that he seems so happy, alert, and responsive. I can't wait to go back tomorrow and see how he is. We may even be able to take him outside, which would be great.

More tomorrow. Cindy

9 comments:

  1. Cindy--This is SO exciting!!!!! I could barely sleep the last few nights and have been checking my computer all day. It sounds like things went really well today, although it will probably be hard to leave him every day. Matthew is counting the days until his new cousin is home---he can't wait.
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, this is amazing- I am so happy and excited for you! I have been checking my computer all day for this news. It is now 6th period and this story is making me tear up in the middle of my class.
    It sounds like all of you are doing great-I can't wait to hear about your next visit!Robyn
    P.S. Did you try singing to him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well CIndy,

    Of course you know I am in tears but also laughing because of the list of what NOT to say to adoptive parents and then the Minister says your son is very lucky to h ave you as his Mom. I don't know wherether ot laugh or cry- I am doing both. I believen in omens Cindy and I do believe it is a wonderful sign you met him today. Also can't imagine what it must have been like to be your Father watching you and also meeting his new grandson for the first time. I loved the way you described it Cindy- you can already see what a great Mom you will be because you noticed everything. I am SO happy for you and maybe now some of the crazy hoops you jumped through will start to get blurry in memory. I am going over to your house today to check eveything. LOve Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So.... it sounds like it went well?? What do you think? Everything ok? Is this your little boy? :)

    Very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy,
    What a great omen!! It sounds like it went great and your a great Mom already! I still love your sense of humor I can picture you talking with the Russian lady! All I have been thinking about is how you have been doing and how it is going. Thnaks so much for givin the blog address. Good luck tomorrow! Love, Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,
    Thank you for giving me the blog address. I have been thinking of you lately, wondering how it was going and now I am completely filled in! I am officially obsessed with your website. I can just picture your little boy looking up at you and your dad smiling. It is no wonder you can't sleep.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy,

    This is so exciting. I am very happy for you. Reading the blog brought tears of joy. Savor every minute because time flies.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, Just checking in on you. It sounds like your trip is going extremely well. Funny, when I saw a picture of you I also thought you looked Ukranian/Romanian/European...which actually made me laugh after the conversations we had. (you know what I'm talking about). I'm glad your dad is there with you. As Diane says above, savor every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cindy,

    WOW! What an unforgettable day! That is quite an image of the baby pulling on your hair and him putting his little fingers in your mouth. It must have really been something to see him smile for the first time. Enjoy your next visit with him tomorrow. We thoroughly enjoy your updates and can't wait to hear more.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete