Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Second Visit

We got back several hours ago from the second visit. I am physically and emotionally exhausted when I get back and cannot post anything for a couple of hours. It is really hard to describe in a short post what happens during the visits and how I feel. Partly b/c the visits are more stressful than I had anticipated. I was told as we drove into the town today that we would be picking up the local minister of education to observe the visit as she would be appearing in court to represent Vladimir's interest. Even though everyone has been so nice and the visits have gone well, it is not relaxing knowing you are being observed. As it turned out, the minister could not make it today, so that will happen on the next visit.

Vladimir definitely seemed less scared although he had just woken up when I arrived so was quiet. We took him outside and walked around a bit and then brought him inside back to the room we were in yesterday. He seemed to remember the toys and would look back to where they are.

I will say that I do think he is REALLY smart. I was showing him the pictures on the side of a train and then showed him the pictures on the other side, and he turned the train back over to look at the pictures on the first side. He really concentrates on everything that he is looking at and seems to have quite a good memory. I told them that his concentration is better than half my students in high school--which they thought was funny.

He is very interested in my face and loves to put his fingers in my mouth and grab my hair. Today he noticed my necklace, and was playing with the buttons on my shirt and my watch. (see what I mean GC'ers--far more observant than most of our students). It was so cute b/c I was making sounds and he would watch me and imitate!

As nice as the visit is, the whole experience feels bittersweet b/c I cannot help but feel sad for what he has not had and that he has to go without for several more weeks. Even though he is getting good care, it is not the same as having a parent. We will not be going to the orphanage tomorrow b/c there are papers that I have to sign here, but will go back on Thursday for the final visit. That may be a little heartwrenching, I am sure. I just wish that I could take him with me on Thursday.

Tomorrow we will be going to see Swan Lake with several families. We have met some really nice people here. Each morning I see Jean-Claude from Switzerland who is here on business. There are two other Wyoming families here adopting, so we are all getting together tomorrow to share pictures. We have had great meals here--the restaurants are really nice and of course, you can always just go right outside the hotel for a cold beer and shish kebab! Hope all is well and can't wait to show everyone the pictures and videos. Oh--and he has the cutest little nickname that everyone calls him! Sue--tell Niko he won't have to share his name with anyone. His nickname is totally different!!

9 comments:

  1. So what is the nickname? You left us all in suspense!

    You sound like a mom already! I too wish that you could bring him home now.. Good luck tomorrow. xxoo Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee Cindy...for it being difficult to describe in a short post what happens during the visits and how I feel, you did a great job. You have to turn this into a novel!!

    One suggestion in terms of it being stressful for you. Remember that you have a wonderful sense of humor and will make an outstanding mother (although we think you've already started). You have to know that these two qualities are being noticed, appreciated and admired far more than what you realize or give yourself credit for. The trip is going great and your visits with Vladimir are extremely touching. Keep at it. We are proud of you. - Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy,
    It sounds like your visit went really wel. I can only imagine how nerve wracking this whole process it. I think it is going to be very difficult to leave him this visit but think of it as part of the process that brings you closer to your end result - bringing Vladimir home forever.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy,

    Please tell Vlad that Graham has a couple of hugs queued up and ready to go with Vlad's name on them.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,

    You know your posts make me cry- for many reasons. I agree no problem being observed because your heart and soul come right through and they are golden. My heart hurts for you having to leave but I pray things will go quickly for you as you wait to bring Vlad home for good...ANd what is the nickname? Are you trying to drive us crazy? I can't wait to see you.

    I went to your house yesterday and I have to laugh because almost the second I walked in Max came and rubbed against me. It was very sweet. I sat down and let him sit with me and love it up for a bit before I put food out and water etc... Should have taken Allegra first :-)Everything is fine there, water the flat and brought in the mail. Him looking for love sure proves don't we all love it? . KAthy XOX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy--Sorry about that....I think I'm done commenting on blogs for the time being...I don't want to screw this up for you. But I will be anxiously awaiting and reading all future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanne--didn't mean for you not to post. I really enjoy and appreciate the comments. cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy,
    At your request I am re-entering my earlier post.

    He sounds amazing!!!! I love the fact that he is already playing with your hair. I love the posts of your visits (I've cried at both of them). I think he and Graham are going to give Matthew a run for his money in the brains department. I better get a tutor for him right now.

    Don't worry about the observation. You are great with kids and that will definately come through.

    I can imagine leaving him each day is excruating.

    Have fun tomorrow at the play.

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete